Photographs of the Rome Temple Site

Rome, Italy Temple Area

Rome, Italy Temple Area

Future Rome Mormon Temple Site

Future Rome

Rome Mormon Temple Plans

Rome

On Sunday, July 10, a letter from the Rome Italy Stake Presidency was read in area sacrament meetings announcing that construction of the temple had officially begun. Since the formal groundbreaking in October, activity at the temple site has been limited to site activities including clearing, grading, transplanting, erection of a construction fence, and placement of construction trailers.

Government Representatives Looking at Rome Temple Model

Government Representatives Looking at Rome Temple Model

Rome Temple Construction Site

Rome Temple Construction Site

*As construction progresses, the submission of regular photographs is highly appreciated by members worldwide who wish to witness the construction of this beautiful temple in historic Rome.

Comments

10 Responses to “Photographs of the Rome Temple Site”
  1. Don Pritchard says:

I spent three years in Italy (1976-1979) with the U.S. Army at Livorno and was living there when ground was broken for the first church owned chapel in the nation. I am excited beyond anything else that a temple is being constructed in Rome. I can remember going to Rome with other service members for meetings in a rather stuffy hall. It was a very exciting time for my young wife and myself. I can only imagine what it must be like today for the wonderful members of the church in Italy.

• karenrose says:

Wow, that’s exciting. Thanks for sharing, Don. I recognize your name. Not sure how. Would you be willing to write up some thoughts about your experiences as a member of the Church while in Italy or elsewhere that we can post with a photo? I’ll email you my contact information.

• Hi Don, Amazing, first we get to be participant in the first church owned chapel, and now to see the building of the Temple in Rome. I still have wonderful memories of touring the district with the District President (Norm Nelson) and working with you in our servicemen’s branch at Darby. Having served my mission in Italy two years before returning in the service, there were many members I got to see again when visiting branches with President Nelson.

• karenrose says:

Victor, thanks for visiting the site. Would you be willing to write up a post or two about your experiences, reflections on the first Church-owned chapel and the memories of your mission service, temple being built now, etc? We’d love to psot it.

2. Don Pritchard says:

I am sorry but I got my years in Italy wrong in the previous post. It was 1973 to 1976.

3. Rick Nielson says:

Was at the Rome site last week. Nice big fence and some transplanted trees are the only things visible. in peering over the fence, we took a few pictures but no work has begun as yet.

• karenrose says:

Love to have anyone send us some photos as this progresses and your thoughts and impressions; we will post either or both. Thanks so much. I hope to be at the open house and dedication of that temple as well. Italian ancestry. Thanks for visiting, Rick.

4. I worked in Naples from 2000 to 2004. I remember the 16 hr. overnight bus trips to Bern. We would stay for a week to make the trip profitable. The Italian ladies would fill the bottom of the bus with food for the week and cook wonderful meals in the hostel kitchen. Sometimes the bus would start out in Sicily so we had the chance to meet members from down there. As much as I loved those trips I know the Italian members will be so grateful to have a temple in Rome.
    I’m saving my pennies to make the trip back for the dedication. I have heard from other American members that are doing the same.

• karenrose says:

Thanks, Sandra! A long bus trip; so Italian to have wonderful meals along the way.. Where in Sicily? Where in Naples? If you’d like to write up some of your experiences as a member in Italy, we’d love to post. I’m second gen Italian, from outside of Napoli,in Pietraroia and also ancestry in Ascoli and in Messina, Sicily–Trifiletti is surname. Love to have you spread the word; we’d love photos and stories of life as a member in Italy, English or Italian. Thanks for visiting the site. Best to you. Maybe we’ll see you at the dedication. Also saving for that great day.

5. DON HOULE says:

I HAVE BENN A LATTER-DAY SAINT SINCE OCTOBER 5TH 1970. I WAS BAPTISED IN EDINBURGH, SCOTLAND. WHAT WONDERFUL MEMORIES DO I HAVE TO CHERISH. I ALSO LIVED IN TARANTO ITALY FOR A FEW MONTHS TEACHING CONVERSATIONAL ENGLISH TO OFFICERS IN THE ITALIAN NAVY THERE. I STAYED IN ROME AND ATTENDED THE AMERICAN BRANCH THERE ALSO. IN TARANTO I ALSO ATTENDED THE BRANCH THERE AND WAS GIVEN THE OPPORTUNITY TO BAPTISE MY FIRST CONVERT THOUGH I WAS NOT A MISSION AT THAT TIME. LIKE SO MANY OTHERS I REJOICE AT THIS SPECIAL OCCASION. THEY HAVE WAITED YEARS FOR THIS AND NOW THERE HOUR HAS COME. FROM ONE WHO JOYS ALONG SIDE WITH YOU. DON HOULE